EXPLORE LIKE A LOCAL
Cairns is well known as the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest, however the motel surrounds and city itself also has plenty to explore. Check out our locals guide below using the map above.
1. CAZALYS For 40 years, Cazalys has remained a celebrated local venue. Boasting a world-class sporting stadium, ever-changing live entertainment, gaming lounge, sports bar, chic new restaurant and out-of-this-world children’s entertainment area, Cazalys has it all when it comes to entertainment.
2. DFO SHOPPING CENTRE Big Brands. Big Bargains. Big Savings! At DFO Cairns, you will find all of your favorite Australian and International brands. The center also has a fully appointed food court and a wide range of services including a pharmacy, post office, newsagent and Coles supermarket.
3. BLACKBIRD COFFEE Your closest caffeine fix. Also ranked amongst the very best coffee in QLD by beanhunter.
4. WEST CAIRNS BOWLS CLUB Great place for afternoon knock offs and social bowls. Every Wednesday evening features BBQ Club, an ever changing selection of low & slow meats and sides.
5. MAMA COCOS Your local café and one of Cairns best. The menu is eclectic and seasonal-designed with clean and tasty flavours in mind. Baking daily, they always have fresh cakes & pastries. Mama’s ethos is hand-made with love.
6. RUSTYS MARKETS (Fri – Sun from 5am) Over the last 30 years, Rusty’s Market has earned a rightful place as the unofficial cultural heart of Cairns—a meeting place where people come together.
7. CAFFIEND The perfect Sunday brunch spot. This is the foodie café of Cairns! They're about BIG flavor, punchy acid, well seasoned, herbaceous and zingy.
8. CAIRNS AQUARIUM The only aquarium in the world dedicated exclusively to the habitats and species of Tropical North Queensland. With over 15,000 animals and unique opportunities to move up close to some of the world’s most fascinating, elusive or deadly creatures, every visit is unforgettable.
9. THREE WOLVES A local’s secret. Hidden down a red brick laneway in the heart of the Cairns CBD, Three Wolves offers patrons a unique and premium small bar experience. Ask for Tiny Sam, tell him Ron sent you!
10. THE PIER A unique shopping and waterfront dining precinct situated along the Cairns marina.